Background Screening-its all about verification
Many have no doubt heard the catch phrase ” fake it till you make it “ There are also many coaches who impress on others the importance of first impressions . Those who are wishing to Rip you off will strive to make the best impression and faking it is what they specialise in.
With economic times and competition being tougher the dishonest will go that extra bit to put themselves at the top of the short list.
We do business in the real world and before you enter into any kind of relationship you need to separate fact from fiction so that you can make your decision based on reality and not fiction.
Prevention is the most effective method of protecting your work place and like a firewall for your computer you need to screen before they get in the door.
The Verisure screening process is thorough, in depth, affordable, independent of your recruiting process and legally defensible. It is conducted with the knowledge and consent of your prospective employee and is conducted by investigative procedures and does not rely solely on databases.
NOT all back ground checks are equal
We have recently become aware of companies offering background checks for recruitment companies. These companies are not licensed private Investigators and only provide information from public record. This is not the same as a background check; it is simply a verification service providing information found in the public arena.
Our background checks go beyond this and we are able to identify issues such as in one pre-employment screen where we found that both the referees of the applicant were his parents using assumed names.
Only a Licensed Private Investigator can legally make inquiries beyond the public realm.
Who should you screen?
In-depth screening can only be done by consent , By making a screen mandatory before entering into any relationship you can eliminate surprises and if any issues are revealed you can at least mitigate them in the contract.
Screening should be carried out before entering into any contract.
Employment, credit, loan, partnership, business dealings, new management directors, business purchase, contractors etc.
Your lawyer may have drawn up the best and most water tight contract in the world but if the organisation or person is not who they say they are, non-existent or not locatable after they have fled , then the contract is not worth the paper it is written on.
Those intent on ripping you off have many resources available to them you have to be one step ahead of them .
What you need to know about criminal history checks
Many organisations believe that a Police check or a criminal History check gives them protection, but the reality is quite different.
The applicant may be
- Using a false name, switch first and middle names, misspell their name to avoid a positive response from being returned .
- before the court on serious charges and has not yet been convicted.
- have resolved their offending by a private confidential arrangement whereby the loss was repaid in exchange for confidentiality
- subject to the clean slate act
A note about clean slate
The clean slate act has a significant bearing on how in depth the pre-employment screen should be . This act prevents the disclosure of offences for individuals who have :
- no convictions within the last 7 years;
- never been sentenced to a custodial sentence ( e.g. imprisonment, corrective training, borstal);
- never been ordered by a Court during a criminal case to be detained in a hospital due to his/her mental condition, instead of being sentenced;
- not been convicted of a “specified offence” (e.g. sexual offending against children and young people or the mentally impaired)
- paid in full any fine, reparation or costs ordered by the Court in a criminal case;
- never been indefinitely disqualified from driving under section 65 Land Transport Act 1998 or earlier equivalent provision.
Because of the variation in applicants and positions we design and structure a package specific to your needs.
The best option is to do our Basic screen and from this we will make recommendations as to further enquiries that will need to be made for full security.